An easy way to wear your favorite pants with suspenders is to get some with clip-on attachments. But some of us like to wear button suspenders for the extra support and classy appearance. This is a situation where we're going to have to put in a bit of extra work.
Some pants already come presewn with suspenders buttons. They are usually more expensive then standard pants. This guide on sewing suspenders buttons to your trousers is designed to help you avoid that unnecessary expense.
Where To Buy The Materials
The things you'll need are:
- Button suspenders - We have those for you here.
- Buttons - We've got those too!
- Pants - You should hopefully have these already.
- Needle and about 12 feet of thread - I would buy these at a local crafts store.
Steps To Sewing Suspenders Buttons To Pants
- Mark where the buttons will go - measure and mark two button spots for the back strap, and four button spots for the two front straps. Suspenders buttons should be about an inch in diameter. They can go on the inside or outside of the waist band.
- Sew the buttons - you should use about 2 feet of thread per button. Carefully sew your buttons to the pants.
- Secure buttons - secure the button by wrapping the thread around and tying in. Finally you can cut the excess thread.
Check out this in depth guide to sewing buttons.
How To Wear Your Pants With Suspenders
Now is the fun part. We need to test the buttons and make sure they will hold. Nothing is more embarrassing than when your suspenders come undone. Luckily button suspenders usually don't have this problem if everything is sewn properly.
First attach the back strap to the back buttons. I prefer to attach the back first because it's always the more tedious side. Next drop the two front straps over your shoulders and attach them to the front buttons. Pull them tight to make sure your suspenders and trousers are holding strong!